Thursday, September 27, 2012

Learning Through Observance

As promised, I wanted to give an update on some of the events/meetings that I have been able to attend the past two weeks. 

Last week, the Town of Gilbert held a Mayor's Ambassador Forum on Economic Development.  I got there early to help sign people in and give them name tags, but was still able to watch some of the presenters and meet some of the attendees.  The purpose of this Forum was not only to provide an update on new developments in Gilbert, but also to allow for individuals in the business community to network with each other and with town officials.  The presenters were from all different areas of business; Luke AFB, Gilbert Chamber of Commerce, PHX-Mesa Gateway Airport, and some other private companies.

While I was standing in the back of the room (there were so many people in attendance the council chambers were filled up!) I saw a familiar face in the audience.  It was one of my high school teacher and mentor's, who I even took a school trip to Europe with, husband.  He is a retired city manager and now works for EVP, but still, small world, huh?  This led me to find out that there were two others who currently work for Gilbert that also had her as a teacher.  The next week, my direct boss for the internship mentioned that he spoke with her about me at the event.

What did I learn from this experience?  The importance of networking and building connections.

That same day, I went to the "Budget Kickoff".  Gilbert has an excellent budget team and a fresh and efficient methodology when it comes to developing their budget.  All of the managers and directors were in attendance, as well as any town staff that were interested.  Basically, they provided an overview of the entire budget process and directed individuals on how they can be a part of the process.  I really feel like I am learning so much about so many different areas of local governmenet; and maybe it's geeky, but it's really exciting for me!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment