Monday, September 24, 2012

Project Update!

This post might be a little boring, but I wanted to provide an update on my project and what I've have learned from simply undertaking it.

So far, I've broken down all of the data that I was given and determined that there has been an increase on fees paid to ADEQ.  Some of these increases were actually passed through AZ legislation because ADEQ made a case that since monies they receive from the general fund were cut they needed to generate other funds in order to sustain their services.  Today I met with a few individuals here at the town and got some contact information for individuals outside of the organizataion who might be able to help me gather more info.  My goal is to create statistical and graphical representation of the overall money paid to ADEQ and  increases and to present the policy implications that the increases have had on the town. 

Initially, I thought that the goal of my project would be to try and persuade an organization that the increase in fees is harmful to the town and therefore the citizens, however since I've been working on it, I realize that there are other purposes to this project.  The potential for getting these fees revoked is pretty slim, but there is an importance to having concrete facts and statistics on ADEQ  fees and municipalities.  When it comes time to address the legislature, town representatives can present the case (with representation) that they have already undergone a significant increase in fees that they pay to state departments.  Additionally, this research provides benefits to the town because they will have a better and more accurate understanding of the fees that they are required to pay and will be better able to incorporate this information into their budget.

I will post more later about some of the other meetings and events I attended last week, so stay tuned :)


No comments:

Post a Comment