Gilbert operates so lean that it doesn't seem like there is going to be a permanent position for me here, which I have known from pretty much the get go. Still I have enjoyed my work here so much and wish that there could be :(. Anyway, my manager has been sending my resume out trying to help me find a permanent position somewhere. I think I had written about a lunch a few weeks back with US Congressman Matt Salmon. He ended up winning the election and last week my manager told me that she was speaking with his chief of staff who asked if I would be interested in joining his staff in D.C. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to do this because I would have roughly a month to move my husband and son! If I didn't have a family I would jump at an opportunity like this, but hey, they're worth it!
Anyway, the point is that the networking aspect is soo soo important. I made enough of an impression that they remembered me when looking for candidates to fill their positions, and in DC. I'm confident that other opportunities will come up in the future.
Tikki,
ReplyDeleteAlthough you are not able to take the employment opportunity, the skills you learned in networking while interning will serve you better than a hundred online job applications. Remain positive, I too finished my internship without an opportunity (I didn’t expect one because I wanted the experience of working for the State while continuing my education) or so I thought until I received a phone call this week for a temporary position in a different department. After my internship, I started hunting for jobs again and was getting frustrated with the online application process. Bummed about not creating my own opportunities, (I hate to say this, because my wife told me to) I went to a temporary agency, it turned out that the agency I went to seek employment with is the same agency that has a contract with the State for temporary employees. Which made it easier to complete the application process, but I discovered different offices don’t work well together, so there was some tense moments between me and the two offices.
Good luck in your job hunt, don’t hesitate to stop by companies that you applied for to check the status of your application so they can see their future employee vice a piece of paper,
Michael
That is amazing. Too bad you were not able to take the opportunity, but family comes first. I think the fact you were offered the job is very good.
ReplyDeleteA lot of government agencies have made cut significant cut backs, or are on hiring freezes, so getting a job in this field looks rough at the moment, but I think it will pick up eventually. We are in a pretty good position: many employees will be entering into their final years before retirement, so there will be a need for young, skilled workers to take their place. I would sign up for every listserv that announces government jobs and stay up to date on the new jobs. Maybe something will come up.
Hi Tikki! Congratulations on the job offer. I am sure it must have been difficult to turn down. However, I completely agree with you, it would have been difficult to uproot your family in such a short amount of time. On top of that, having personally immersed myself in the world of networking, I can attest to how important it is to make a positive impression. Since you have proven to be successful at this, I am confident that you will be successful in landing many more job offers.
ReplyDeleteSucks they didnt have a job offer for you , but its lovely to have a manager like yours who will help you find a permanent position. Sucks you have to turn down the job in DC also but congratulations on that.
ReplyDeleteThat's such a great opportunity! Even if you weren't able to take it up, I think knowing that you were offered or considered for it is just as important. Clearly, people see you as having the ability and potential to perform as a Congressional staffer in Washington, D.C. That's got to count for something!
ReplyDelete