There was another aspect to the webinar career services even that I attended. This was on job searching skills and tips. They suggested that it is never too early to start searching for jobs, which is something I never followed. Really though, it can be a long, arduous process, from the applications themselves, to hearing back (if you’re lucky enough to hear back), and then interviewing and finally accepting a position. Having a good resume on hand and saving it in different formats can be helpful. As for the search itself, you should use your network of family and friends, organization websites, book of lists, and newspapers ads (which I think is pretty irrelevant in today’s world). One good site related to municipal positions is The AZ League of Cities and Towns website. Networking and follow-ups are extremely important. They also mentioned to submit your resume and cover letters in PDF format, which is something I don’t do unless asked. I am definitely going to start doing this as my standard method. The webinar also provided suggestions/guidelines for negotiation on after you get a job offer. All really great, helpful stuff!
No comments:
Post a Comment