Monday, December 10, 2012

Collaboration

Last week I went down to Scottsdale’s Development Services to meet with a couple of their staff regarding their permit process.  Scottsdale does things differently than most other municipalities.  They have what they call the “One Stop Shop” where they provide over the counter service to customers.  We asked some questions regarding their process and any problems that they have encountered with it.  They gave us a little tour of the back offices so that we could get a sense of the full operation.  Basically we were kind of just seeing what they do so that we can figure out what works and what doesn’t in order to help restructure Gilbert’s DS as best as possible.  It’s nice to be able to have good relationships with other municipalities so that you can have these sort of meetings in order to increase efficiency. 
I have also started researching benchmarks.  I have been tasked with creating new, appropriate benchmarks for Development Services.  This is all so different than what I had been doing, more of the real management side rather than the political/policy side.  I LOVE what I was doing w/government relations, but I’m really glad that I am getting this other experience and building new skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment