The other morning I was invited to attend a legislative breakfast hosted by the Gilbert Chamber of Commerce. I got there early and was able to get a seat at the table where Senate President elect, Andy Biggs was sitting. The event was small, about 30 members from different business organizations were present and Representative Farnsworth, Rep. Petersen, and Steve Yarborough. After breakfast and an informal ice-breaking activity at our individual tables, Senator Biggs, Rep. Farnsworth, and Rep. Petersen were introduced and brought up to the front where they had the chance to mention key issues that they will be addressing this upcoming legislative session.
After that, some of the questions/issues that were discussed informally at our individual tables were presented to the legislators. One of the major concerns was unemployment insurance benefits and whether or not there will be some reform come January. There were a couple people from daycare facilities that expressed their concerns will rising licensing fees. Aparently after the legislature gave state agencies the power to set their own fees, this fee went from $75 a year to $1700 a year. It was interesting because this is the same problem that I had addressed with my main project regarding ADEQ fees. State agencies were given this authority to compensate for cuts to their general funds, but the fee increases do not seem to be equitable or following the premise that they can only increase fees to what the actual cost for the service is.
It's always an exciting experience getting to meet people you see in the news. Whether or not I agree with the political views of a legislator, I think it would still be a worthy experience meeting and getting to chat with someone like the Senate President-elect. Although I do wonder if ever their sometimes outspoken manner ever causes conflict at such events. I'd imagine so.
ReplyDeleteIt is always exciting to sit with our representatives! This only reminds me of what I have in store next semester. I will be working as a page for the house in the upcoming session.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the power to establish their own fees I do not agree. I understand that funds need to be restored but the state should not shed its responsiblty in that manner. I would be interested to see what you think.